LOCAL HISTORIC SITES 2
There is known to have been a church building on the present site since the 14th century and there are much earlier references to a dyseart or hermitage in the area. St Conan, a disciple of St Columba, is said to have come on a mission to the Picts. He died in 648.
There are records of burials of the Clan Gregor Chiefs in the medieval church between 1390 and 1528. The medieval church lasted until the 17th century. The present church was built during 1810.
The churchyard contains several medieval sculptured stones, some brought from the island of Innishael on Loch Awe by the families of those they commemorated.
Thomas Pennant in 1769 wrote, ‘In the churchyard are several grave stones of great antiquity, with figures of a warrior, each furnished with a spear, or two-handed sword; on some are representations of the chase; on others, elegant fret-work; and on one, said to be part of the coffin of a M’Gregor, is a fine pattern of foliage and flowers and excepting the figures, all in good taste’.
Glenorchy War Memorial
A short walk from Glenorchy Kirk, on the B8077, Stronmilchan Road, in an elevated position above the Dalmally Bridge over the River Orchy.
There are other war memorials in Lochawe Village. The Lochawe War Memorial is placed adjacent to St. Conan’s Kirk. “The Memorial is in the form of the figure of an Argyll and Sutherland Highlander sculptured in freestone surmounting a handsome cairn of Cruachan granite.”
Two brass plates, memorials of local men who fought in the Boer War (1899 –1902) can be found in St. Conan’s Kirk.
Dalmally Bridge over the River Orchy was the work of Ludovic Picard an architect who worked for Lord Breadalbane in 1781. It was built to make movement of cattle and troops easier, as it formed part of the military road between Tyndrum and Oban.
The Bridge of Awe, another of his bridges was swept away in 1992.
The Hanging Tree
The tree is in the area of Tom Nan Croiche, which means ‘hill of the gallows’. The tree is close to where the hangman’s house used to be. The hangman was paid by the Campbells who administered summary justice.
The condemned carried their gallows up the hill where it was placed in the stone slot – which still remains.
The hanging tree tree can be seen from Dalmally bridge. With your back to the monument, stand on the bridge to the right hand side. Look along the top of the wall, raising your eyes up the hill until you set upon a tree – the Hanging Tree.
Duncan McLaren Monument
Duncan McLaren was the Lord Provost of the city of Edinburgh from 1851-54 and MP between 1865-81.
The cross was erected by his 3rd wife, Priscilla on the spot where he spent much of his childhood in his cousins’ cottage.
His daughter, Agnes, was the first Scotswoman to become a fully qualified doctor.
Located off the Stronmilchan Road, the B8077, approx 3 miles from Glenorchy Kirk.